Accidents happen! If you have been in an accident and your car needs to be repaired, you might be looking for a body shop.
If your car has not been totaled it’s very important to make sure that the repairs will be done by a reputable body shop instead of one that will only focus on price. Even small dents in the bumper can damage the absorption material underneath weakening it for future collisions.
Make sure that your insurance company is working with reputable body shops, not just with shops based on price. Often, if you are not satisfied with the choice of your insurance company, you have the right to go with the shop you feel most comfortable with. Make sure you get the job done right!
Some points to keep in mind when choosing a reputable body shop:
- Get an accurate appraisal – Be aware that price is not the only indicator you need to pay attention to, and that you might not want to go with the cheapest option. At Universal Ford Lincoln, we offer free appraisals.
- Be well informed – Get a good understanding of the type of repair that needs to be performed. If shops are telling you different things, take it to a shop that is already known to be reputable. Universal’s body shop will walk you through each and every step of what needs to be done. This will give you more confidence on your decision.
- Make sure the shop you choose guarantees the work – you might find different types of warranties, some may have a time limit, or there might be a warranty on the paint or bodywork. Make sure you ask the right questions and know how long the warranty is for, and what it covers. Universal puts a lifetime guarantee on our work.
- You will also want to know about the materials the shop intends to use. Are new, used, or aftermarket body parts going to be installed? Make sure you understand the implications of used or aftermarket body parts. For example, if you are leasing a car you might not be able to return your car at the end of your contract if you have used aftermarket body parts. At Universal we only use genuine body parts and never cut corners by using non-OEM parts.
- Pay attention for signs of competency and professionalism:
- Look for a well-organized facility with modern equipment. Many manufacturers recommend specific repair procedures. At Universal Ford, we are trained on these procedures and we follow them carefully. With the new F-150 having a high-strength aluminum body we have state-of-the-art equipment allowing us to confidently work on this alloy.
- Look for signs of competency of the technical staff such as diplomas and advance course certificates.
- Look for professionalism at every level – Starting with the reception area, professionally run establishments have helpful staff willing to spend time with you and answer your questions.
- Look for customer reviews – Finally, do a little research online, look for customer reviews or social media networks such as Facebook, Google Reviews, or Yelp. It is important to see what people are saying about their experience with the business and also evaluate how the company is handling complaints.
Finding the right body shop might take a little more effort that you anticipated, but in the long term the results are worth it. Collect information to make the right decision, as it can protect a major investment. Come to Universal Ford Lincoln for your body shop needs, we’ll be happy to spend some time with you and be included as one of your choices.